Xavier University hosts South American Easter celebration | Arts & Culture
CINCINNATI (FOX19) - Xavier University will bring Alfombras, a South American tradition, to life on April 3-4.
An Easter event celebrated since the 16th century, carpets, also known as Alfombras, are created with sawdust and then dyed to illustrate images of religious figures and biblical stories. Xavier’s Alfombras will be constructed with wood chips to reduce dust.
Traditionally held the night before Easter, Xavier’s Alfombras will be April 3 and 4 from 10 am-3 pm on the closed section of Francis Xavier Way between the Fenwick Hall/Hoff Dining Commons and Bellarmine Chapel. This event is free and open to the public. It is sponsored by Xavier organizations including Interfaith Community Engagement, the Society of Latinos, and the Art and Spanish departments.
All are welcome to participate in creating an Alfombra in this Spanish cultural event. For more information, please call Carmen Deloach at 513-745-3569.
Copyright 2012 WXIX. All rights reserved.
Top Eastside Stories
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The Christ Hospital Physicians Welcomes Certified Nurse Midwife Practice to Anderson
- Anderson's Got Talent Returns to Greater Anderson Days
- Ohio School Boards Association names Mercy Health to Business Honor Roll
- Traffic and parking restrictions for Tim McGraw concert
- Coney Island opens Saturday for 127th season