Soldier on leave being honored at local Gold Star location | Community Spirit
MONTGOMERY, OH (FOX19) - Gold Star Chili will host a reception at its Montgomery Road location in Montgomery Friday for Blue Ash native PFC Paul Virgil Kelley and 30 of his friends and family. PFC Kelley surprised his family by returning home for a visit on Christmas Day after a 12-month tour of duty in Afghanistan.
Kelley is a 2001 graduate from Goshen High School. He joined the Army in December of 2009 and after completing basic training in April 2010 in Fort Jackson, SC, continued with Advanced Individual Training at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. He was then stationed at Fort Hood, TX and immediately deployed to Afghanistan for 12 months with the 8th Engineering Battalion, 572nd MAC, where he was responsible for vehicle maintenance in a route clearance company.
While deployed, PFC Kelley’s cousin, 12-year old Gracie Heltemes from Burlington, KY organized a collection at Camp Ernst Middle School of items needed by our troops to send to him and his fellow soldiers.
PFC Kelley and his wife Rosalie Kelley, who also serves in the US Army, surprised family for this visit including his mother and stepfather, Teresa and Dave Schuh, his father, Pete Kelley; siblings Ken Kelley, Kate Segrist and Chris Schuh; his maternal grandparents Randall & Rita Davidson; and a host of other family and friends. He returns to Fort Hood on January 15th where he will continue his specialized training.
The celebration is part of Gold Star’s Serving Our Troops program to honor returning soldiers and their families. To date, Gold Star has recognized nearly 155 service men and women and served more than 2,600 complimentary meals to honor them. Those interested in requesting a reception for someone who is returning home from serving in a U.S. military branch can visit www.goldstarchilil.com.
Copyright 2011 FOX19. All rights reserved.
Top Eastside Stories
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The Christ Hospital Physicians Welcomes Certified Nurse Midwife Practice to Anderson
- Anderson's Got Talent Returns to Greater Anderson Days
- Ohio School Boards Association names Mercy Health to Business Honor Roll
- Traffic and parking restrictions for Tim McGraw concert
- Coney Island opens Saturday for 127th season
- Rolling Thunder sendoff held at Yellow Ribbon Support Center
- Pierce Township man promoted to Metro’s Director of Transit Operations
- Police investigate gunshot near Union Twp. school
- Click It or Ticket in Clermont County
- Emergency Preparedness Exercise in Miami Township May 22 - This event is ONLY AN EXERCISE