Citizen turns over hand grenades and military ammunition to Blue Ash police | News
BLUE ASH, OH (FOX19) - A strange discovery at a home in Blue Ash led to an evacuation on Monday.
A citizen brought hand grenades and several rounds of military ammunition to the police station. He reported that he found them while helping an elderly friend clean her home.
The Blue Ash Municipal and Safety Center was briefly evacuated while bomb technicians from the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office rendered the hand grenades safe. The grenades and ammunition were removed for destruction by the Sheriff’s Bomb Unit.
It is not known whether or not the hand grenades were live or inert.
Old military ordnance such as grenades and artillery shells are sometimes found in attics and basements. Often times, such an item turns out to be a souvenir that was brought home by a returning soldier. However, it’s nearly impossible for a layperson to tell whether or not the ordnance is still live, or capable of exploding. The Police Department recommends that anyone finding old military ordnance do the following:
- Do not handle the device. Leave it in place.
- Evacuate the residence.
- Contact 911 for assistance.
Top Eastside Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police pursuit in Batavia ends in accident
- Advance Auto Parts opening new store in Eastgate
- Fallen Heroes Memorial groundbreaking held in Clermont Co.
- Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Clermont County Fallen Heroes Memorial - 5/14 at 10am
- Free & Secure Community Shred Day in Clermont County - May 18 from 9-12